Thursday, July 19, 2007

Trek 2007

Kerry and I recently went on trek. We went to Martins Cove for 3 days. It was a great experience being on sacred ground with the YM and YW of our ward and stake. It involved a lot of being outside, which I normally don't enjoy, but we had a lot of fun. It was very hard and long, but there was also a great feeling to the place and the whole trip. I don't understand how the pioneers did it. We were only there 3 days and we were losing people to the heat and dehydration left and right. Our medical staff stayed very busy.





We pushed and pulled our handcart all over the place. Miles and miles. We gained a better appreciation for the song, "Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked and walked..."




We wore pioneer costumes for the three days. Kinda.



At one point, they separated the men from the women to simulate the men going off to march in the "Mormon Battalion". So the women had to push the handcart up the biggest hill. Kerry was a real trooper and probably could have done it by herself, with the kids in the back yelling "are we there yet?"




Even with all the work, the hardest part was the 6 hour school bus ride to get there. It was so long. But it gave us time to practice sign language with the others. (Kerry and I are both working on it. I think I am a little obsessed.)Anyway, yea Trek! Only three years until the next one. Which Tanner will be old enough to go to. That will be awesome.

2 comments:

johnsun said...

How long did you last before heat exhaustion set in? Three straight days outside. That must be a new record for you.

Kerry said...

I switched into "outdoor mode". Now when I meet a pioneer on the other side of the veil I will be all "I know exactly what you went through...you hiked 1500 miles? I killed 1500 bugs. You went without food for days? I went without a shower for days. Same."